I am excited to have finished creating the last of my 1,000 pollinators! Everything is pinned and boxed except for the blue butterflies, which I am currently working on arranging and pinning in 2 clear wall mounted cases. The other 30 boxes and drawers are designed to be viewed from above. I’m working on a prototype of a display table with some materials I have in the studio…I’m envisioning modular units with detachable legs that can be easily disassembled and packed in the car.
I spent four hours earlier this week photo documenting the work. I wanted to use natural light and we had the first clear day in a long while, so I took full advantage. The images you see here such as the Beetle Box above are photographed without their glass tops to omit any extraneous reflections. (I had a small furry companion during my photo shoot, but I’ve discovered that if I use a small low table that just fits a foam core sheet and the work that I don’t have any kitty leaps at inopportune moments:)…)
I have also posted images of the completed works on my website. You can view them in this web gallery:
You can read my artist statement about this body of work here: http://ingrid-erickson.squarespace.com/artist-statement
It is a bittersweet feeling to come to the end of a big project…
So, what’s next??? That’s always the question on my mind when I finish one studio endeavor…My work is time consuming and requires a lot of research, so I always have a number of ideas on the back burner–often for several years at a time. Sometimes the process of growing ideas over these fallow periods (as I focus intensively on other studio work) is really useful. It can make things richer and deeper.
So here’s what’s next:
I am working on building a selection of 3-D cut-paper bird’s nests representing specific species. This will be another facet of my MUSEUM series (an imagined natural history collection which currently includes my Osteology series, as well as the new Pollinator Project pieces.) I am currently just starting to develop an array of hand-cut paper nest materials—leaves, lichens, feathers and feather down, mosses, vines, etc. I will be working virtually with several ornithology collections (a first for me, since I usually do my research in person), and reaching out to several ornithologists to discuss some of the questions I have relating to this project.
I will begin sharing some progress reports with you once I get a little traction on this new piece. I can tell already that it will represent a different rhythm of working than the last piece, which will be a nice change to my daily practice. I anticipate each nest taking a long time to construct, with perhaps multiple pieces going at once…we’ll see. In the meantime, I will be creating a vast library of cut-paper “materials” to work from.
I have been so wrapped up in my studio work that I haven’t had as much time and patience for extensive cooking. I have had fun assembling an array of colorful salads and veggie side dishes without using any recipes. I made lemony chickpeas and zucchini with homemade lemon tarragon croutons, a radish and apple brunch salad (with the orange powder I made in a splash of oil and vinegar dressing), and roasted brussel sprouts with oranges (the sliced oranges don’t get cookedJ) and a zesty lime dressing using lime juice and the lime powder I had made earlier.
As we seem to linger in these wet, cold gray days of February, I keep reminding myself that we are fast approaching March—my big planting month. I will be able to start quite a few seedlings in the greenhouse soon. I can’t wait!